Saturday, February 21, 2004

Check out this series of photos by Derek Powazek. The first couple, especially, absolutely own me. He's selling a poster, and the proceeds will benefit DontAmend.com. I like this site because they seem to be trying to point out that many conservatives are against the amendment.

In a previous life, I conflated being conservative with adherence to Republican Party platform, and had no idea how gay people and allies could possibly espouse anti-gay policy. Then I found the Log Cabin Republicans (that's three separate links there, try 'em all out). I still disagree with a good portion of what they say, but I'd rather be arguing politics based on how to philosophically define individual rights, and what best insures them, than keep banging my head against the brick wall of someone else's religion.

And now, a few self-indulgent words on marriage itself, because this is my blog, where I indulge myself.

I don't like it.

I, personally, never want to get married. To a man or a woman. This will not change, even if the law does. I do not want the government in my bedroom or my family. Who I love and how I love them, whether we are committed or casual, platonic or romantic, or any of the thousands of grey areas in between is my business and that of my (annoyingly hypothetical) partner. This is not a political position, though it affects and is affected by my political views.

So, why am I so gung-ho about this gay marriage stuff?

Hey, if I can choose not to be married, others should be able to choose it too -- not have it forced on them. After all, inherent in my choice is the prerogative to change my mind, though it is restricted to situations in which my partner is of the "opposite" sex. This prerogative spells freedom to me. As a person of complicated sexual preference that has very little to do with gender or biological sex, I'd like that freedom to apply to any and all of my potential relationships, not just the ones that involve a penis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home