Friday, May 06, 2005

Why the Fuck aren't we Taxing the Churches?

This one is excommunicating people who voted for Kerry. Look, I don't CARE what your religion tells you to believe, or if you wanna vote based on two issues because of it. It's your vote. But when a church starts attacking members based on what is supposed to be a personal choice, that's an attempt to directly influence the political system in this country, and that goes directly against the seperation of church and state. This, coincidentally, is where churches get off not paying taxes.

Think of all the budget problems that could be fixed...

EDIT: If this worries you or otherwise pisses you off, here is a great list of things to do. I know that I have at least a couple of religious folk reading, so let me remind you, as someone else reminded me, "...that the separation of church and state doesn't just keep the church out of the state, it keeps the state out of the church. Open that can of worms, and you're not gonna like the task of getting 'em all back in."

We should all care about this one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pher said...

Well, I approach this from a slightly different angle, being a religious person myself. And while I am not quite as energitic about it, I agree with your idea, if for a completely different reason. I believe religious organazations should be taxed, because letting the government determine who get's tax free status let's the government decide what is a religion, and what isn't. So I say tax the churches, treat them like everybody else, so that the government cannot discriminate.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

I'd never thought about it like that. Thanks for weighing in!

5:12 PM  
Blogger elw said...

I agree with you, pher, that's probably the best way to deal with it that I've ever heard.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home