Sunday, April 30, 2006

Interruption in Service

The blog has sufferet of late due to computer woes. The machine refused to start last thursday, though Jon revived it brilliantly. I tried to buy a new one on friday, but the "instant credit" at apple is apparently only instant if people can afford the computer (no lie, that's what sales dude implied), which seems to negate buying on credit entirely in my mind. I should hear from them via snail mail this week, and if all goes well have a swanky new MacBookPro in my hands. Knowing the likelihood of all going well when I am involved, expect sparse communication for a bit.

I'm on mom's machine right now, as mine is presently refusing to perform many functions and taking at least five minutes to open a single window in those programs it will deign to use. The hard drive has started making a toned-down version of the "chugga-chugga" noise it was making when it refused to start up, and my Mail program has suddenly developed a ".prayer" file that I have never seen before.

If you need me, try gmail (xturtle at you-know-where dot com). I'm checking about twice a day right now; those who know me well know that this is driving me crazy. Commenting will also get to me, so feel free to leave your best/worst computer disaster stories, funny anecdotes, or chocolate.

I'm off to stare at a TV for awhile (I don't get it... the screen doesn't respond to my keystrokes...).


Blogger elw said...

Okay, I've got two computer disaster stories for you. I know you've probably heard them before, but they're pretty good... or is that bad? I dunno. Anyway. Back in the mid-90s there was a pretty good summer thunderstorm fairly late in the evening. I was in bed already and the folks were in their bed. I was just about to nod off, when CRACK!!!!! Lightning hit the tree in the back yard and I froze with my pillow wrapped around my head. I think it took a good 3 to 5 minutes before I moved again, afraid it would do it again. :-) The next morning I found out not only was there a huge burnt gash in the tree, but it had fried the motherboard on my mom's computer. Somehow the lightning passed through the phone line, modem, and everything else without causing any damage, but stopped at the motherboard. That SUCKED. Fortunately (at the time) it was a Gateway and we had it back in working order within several days.

The other computer disaster happened in the summer of 2000. I had my laptop set up in my bedroom just a couple days after coming home from my third year of college. I was walking across the room when I tripped. On the phone cord. Which was plugged into the modem. Of course the modem was broken. This was also a Gateway, so I called them up and they had a new modem in my hands withing a couple of days.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home