Thursday, July 13, 2006

Insomnia

This is just a little post to say that I have discovered my favorite sentence in the english language: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Rarely is this sentence not accompanied by some sort of laughter. I can hardly say it without laughing, even without context. Think of any number of situations you've been in about which this phrase is true. It's not outright regret, like "I had no other choice" or "if only I had known." It's a damn-straight, what-was-I-smoking, the-plan-seemed-so-flawless admission of fuck-up.

Examples? Wearing six inch platform heels that were a size too big to a Broadway play (in the rain!) in order to make my ex jealous when he saw me at dinner afterward. Sure, I was wet and bedraggled after falling on my ass getting out of a cab, but it was damn hilarious.

Plotting to set up two friends without realizing that the match was entirely gender-inappropriate for one of them? It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Going to grad school because I wasn't making enough money at my old job? Yeah, that one seems REALLY silly now.

At any rate, I can't sleep and I'm at a friends house helping with the care and feeding of a two-year-old and a newborn (me, in charge of children? Methinks I'm not the only one saying "It seemed like a good idea at the time...). Feel free to drop your ISLAGIATT moments in the comments. Because that phrase is just not getting old for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger elw said...

Wearing backless clogs to Las Vegas when I know I have a very hard time walking in backless shoes... It seemed like a good idea at the time! ;-p My feet hurt so bad after one evening I had to buy different shoes the next day.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home