Saturday, March 19, 2005

Why yes, I should be working.

I hate the revamp of the First Avenue web site, but am nonetheless doomed conditioned to check it frequently. This month or so I'm tempted by at least two acts, though I'll only go to one I'm sure. 10 Foot 5 is presenting their latest act there on April 9th. Rick and Andy Ausland have guest-taught tap classes at the U, and managed to teach my sorry, self-conscious ass more about improve in an hour than I'd learned in a year. They're brilliant, and the gig could become regular if they get the interest, so spread the news far and wide. This is no 42nd Street, folks; these guys are funky.

And since I'm being a raving fangirl tonight, I might as well get it all out of my system. You may have remembered me pointing to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund in the past. Today, Neil Gaiman posted a note about a newspaper strip that's runing a frighteningly reality-based "Adult sells sells adult comics to another adult, and gets arrested" (direct quote from posting) storyline. That comic is Funky Winkerbean, and if you start here and read each subsequent day's strip, you'll catch up in a jiff and wait along with me for the resolution of the storyline. Let's hope it doesn't echo the fate of Mike Diana.

OK, I'm gonna go read a bunch of criminology majors' essays about how social factors have nothing to do with an individual's choice to commit crime. Perhaps I should talk to them about how the social stigma I would face within my discipline is the only thing keeping me from beating them about the heads with their textbook during grading time. If it were solely up to me, I'd be booked and awaiting trial on battery by now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home