Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dancing About Architecture (Talking About Music)

I've been trying to make a music post for a couple of weeks now, but I've been stymied by browser crashes and recalcitrant blogging tools. So! Let's give this a shot!

Some artists I've heard and want to hear more of(some pages have embedded sound):

1. Cat Power: She covered Leonard Cohen's "I Found A Reason" on the V for Vendetta soundtrack, has an edge to her voice that hits my "goosebumps" button in the most wonderful way.

2. Katie Melua: Her "Learning the Blues" is one of the lonliest, sexiest songs ever. She's a good dose of blues mixed with a little bit of jazz and another voice that makes me shiver.

3. Keb' Mo': I can't lie, I've been feeling the blues, and this my friends is how it's done.

4. Madeleine Peyroux: That's some sweet vocal jazz. Makes me dream of well-dressed men, smoky clubs, and dancing close.

5. Lark Watts: This is some serious rock 'n roll, y'all. I first read about Lark Watts chez Crazy Aunt Purl, where Laurie gave us a taste of some recordings Watts made not all that many years ago. This gent gives good guitar, and is yet another fantastic vocalist.

OK, I've dorked out enough for one night. Bonus points to anyone who knows where the title of the post comes from.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Origin unknown; commonly attributed to Frank Zappa, Steve Martin, Elvis Costello, and others. Do I win? :)

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home